Friday, March 30, 2007

What have I gotten myself into NOW?

There once were 6 bloggers who knit;
And their stashes were causing a fit.
So a game they did play,
To give yarn away,
(Now, whose yarn will YOU git?)

They took turns being Swap host,
Beth, Lauren, Michele all did post.
Now it's my turn, you see
To show yarn to the three
(Who will bid to win what I post?)

(Honestly, sometimes I don't know where it comes from...it just spills out. Sorry.)

Here's the thing - my stash is mostly sock yarn. I can't seem to go anywhere without picking some up. I go nowhere without my DPN's, and have several patterns committed to memory so I can start right up if I find an especially nice skein. That might leave some of you out in the cold, since not every knitter does socks. (To make, I mean. Most wear them at least...) So here's what I'm gonna do:

The fastest bidder, (Stephanie or Anne K. by my count, right?) can choose either a fingering weight or sport weight, hand-dyed skein of 100% merino superwash. That way, if they're really not into socks, it makes a baby sweater, or who knows what. Oh, yeah - 430 yards. That's a skein - enough to make a pair of women's socks. Color? You call it. I'll dye it as close to your request as I can. Like give me some general color guidelines (e.g., "I hate purple", or "Let's try pink, yellow and black together", something like that...)

If you are really unable to think up a color combination on your own, you may cheat and go to our website, and choose from what we have posted so far.

Now, the other reason I am breaking from the true "stash" swap yarn, is to further make up for the fact that I cannot stick to the noon bidding deadline, as I will be sitting in a gymnasium filled with 160+ little karate people and their parents, waiting for my daughter's two minutes of fame. So let's say 6:00 p.m. EST. If I'm not home by that time, then something has gone terribly, terribly wrong and I will have sworn off karate forever.

The good thing - I can knit pretty much uninterrupted for many farm-chore-free hours while we're waiting...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, now I'm wishing I hadn't gone first! Sounds like a super prize to me. I will try to check in tonight and see what happened, but my husband revealed he is taking me out on an Actual Date in Milwaukee and I don't know when I will have computer access.

Choose wisely ladies....my yarn comes from who doesn't get Melanie's. I think.

Anonymous said...

Wowzers! Sounds awesome :) And I can relate with Karate of course :D

Kathy said...

I admire all you knitters! Here I am at Double Nickels (55) and am just learning to keep up with my daughter and be able to spin the Shetland wool SHE likes!
And I loved the post re: the chickens! We, too, have an assortment and are very glad for longer days. We've had ours for years and I thought they deserved a break over this winter, so no lights at all. Eggs first, then lambs soon to follow!

melanie said...

Well, here's an outcome I wasn't expecting. Nobody contacted me. So either Stephanie and Anne K. are not playing anymore, in which case Beth gets a hand-dyed skein, or both of them REALLY don't want sock yarn, in which case Beth gets a hand-dyed skein. (Is there an echo in here?)

Looks like Beth got an Actual Date in Milwaukee AND yarn.

Anonymous said...

I didn't see that coming. I'd be happy to take some hand-dyed yarn, but I'm wondering what happened to Ann K and Stephanie. Let's see if they show up tomorrow. If they don't, we can close the circle.

BTW we had an awesome dinner! No kids! But I almost tarnished it by going on and on about knitting. :) But I did get several rows knitted on the way up and back.

Anonymous said...

I totally AM playing.. just wasn't online for the past few days! Did I totally miss out? Any pics?

I think we need to email eachother in addition to commenting and listing on our blogs.

Anonymous said...

OMG -- I see you are dying the yarn! I was so excited and freaking out that I missed this part of the swap that I zoomed right past those details! LOL!
I want it ! Gimme gimme gimme! LOL!

melanie said...

Ann has arrived! So the yarn is hers - now she just has to decide about colors and weight. So, Ann, e-mail me off-line (rugbplayr@yahoo.com)
and tell me which weight yarn you want, and what your preferences are for color...I am dyeing tonight, so the sooner you let me know, the better!

Kathy said...

Hey, Melanie! I was just wondering how you were fairing in Upstate....I can say that as I was born in Syracuse and went to SUNY Cobleskill! I remember the snows very well...especially the year I was the student barn manager my senior year and it snowed 3 feet!
Stay warm - it'll melt soon!