Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Egg-citing news...


Well there's egg-citing news from the coop...What's that? EGGS?
Finally, after a winter of growing our chicks into a laying flock, the day length has arrived that heralds the coming of eggs. That's Eagle, a complete, un-identifiable mutt chicken sent to us by Ideal Poultry in an order we placed a year or more ago. Although she remained un-identified as a breed until the end of her days, she was a favorite of my daughter's. We lost our original flock to a dog attack last September, and we lost many friends as well on that day.
We are back on track, the customers are happy, and thank God! no more sub-standard eggs from the grocery.
BTW, we've collected 5 1/2 gallons of sap on day one, 3 gallons on day two, 9 1/2 gallons on day three, and frankly, it's raining too hard for me to go out and haul buckets around. There's always tomorrow. The resulting almost-syrup is sitting on the stove, awaiting bottling.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Don't you just love farm fresh eggs? I love my ruminants and the other critters but it is the chickens who serve the most purpose. A lot of mornings I will ignore the eggs gathered from the day before and do an early search for the very freshly laid. If I am successful, I bring them and in have a delicious breakfast of minutes old, never refrigerated eggs. Yum!

Also, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your former flock. We have two separate friends in our valley here that lost their's to coyotes. So far we have been lucky, maybe because of the bloodhounds, but I can only think of a few things that would be more upsetting to me. I'm glad you've got new (and productive) feathery friends.

melanie said...

Oh, Lauren, on this we agree. I would never go back to commercial eggs...every time we sell or share some, we make a new convert to free-range, fresh eggs.

And it still bothers me that we lost our flock - worse yet, it was our dog that did it. Needless to say, we don't have the dog anymore. I always thought it was the dog that kept other critters at bay, but so far it hasn't been a problem (knock wood). We don't have quite the threat from coyotes that you do...they're around, but I have never heard or seen one in four years here.

Karin said...

Melanie and Madison, it was so nice to see you at the concert yesterday. That was a beautiful sweater you had on! And Madison, I remember you bringing me eggs to my shop one time! They were delicious. I am glad you are able to enjoy the new "crop".
XOX

melanie said...

Karin-

I should have known when I saw you at the Music Hall...of course one of yours was in the orchestra - the talent is in the genes! When we finally get to start the Dale sweaters, I will bring you some eggs...