Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Egg-citing news...


Well there's egg-citing news from the coop...What's that? EGGS?
Finally, after a winter of growing our chicks into a laying flock, the day length has arrived that heralds the coming of eggs. That's Eagle, a complete, un-identifiable mutt chicken sent to us by Ideal Poultry in an order we placed a year or more ago. Although she remained un-identified as a breed until the end of her days, she was a favorite of my daughter's. We lost our original flock to a dog attack last September, and we lost many friends as well on that day.
We are back on track, the customers are happy, and thank God! no more sub-standard eggs from the grocery.
BTW, we've collected 5 1/2 gallons of sap on day one, 3 gallons on day two, 9 1/2 gallons on day three, and frankly, it's raining too hard for me to go out and haul buckets around. There's always tomorrow. The resulting almost-syrup is sitting on the stove, awaiting bottling.

3 comments:

melanie said...

Oh, Lauren, on this we agree. I would never go back to commercial eggs...every time we sell or share some, we make a new convert to free-range, fresh eggs.

And it still bothers me that we lost our flock - worse yet, it was our dog that did it. Needless to say, we don't have the dog anymore. I always thought it was the dog that kept other critters at bay, but so far it hasn't been a problem (knock wood). We don't have quite the threat from coyotes that you do...they're around, but I have never heard or seen one in four years here.

Karin said...

Melanie and Madison, it was so nice to see you at the concert yesterday. That was a beautiful sweater you had on! And Madison, I remember you bringing me eggs to my shop one time! They were delicious. I am glad you are able to enjoy the new "crop".
XOX

melanie said...

Karin-

I should have known when I saw you at the Music Hall...of course one of yours was in the orchestra - the talent is in the genes! When we finally get to start the Dale sweaters, I will bring you some eggs...