Sunday, October 22, 2006

Shear Delight?


Well, when you own sheep, you eventually have to get to this part... (unless of course, you eat them!)


Bill Ottoway and his family came out last Saturday and I got a 1:1 walk through on shearing, and actually got to take care of half of my little flock. Like the title says, "It's harder than it looks".


Of course it was compounded by my affection for the sheep, and my intense fear of cutting them (I was the only bleeder of the day - duct tape band-aid on the saluting finger). Madison documented the occasion, and my friend and business partner, Allison, casually looked on.


Bill's son, Thomas, made it look ridiculously easy, but that happens alot when you're 6...


I keep running over the steps and stages in my head, trying to drill it into memory for the Spring. I'm going to shear them again, even though the staple might not be long enough, it will put us back on the right shearing schedule, and it will give me another chance to polish up my skills...


I'm sure the sheep are thrilled...

No comments: