Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Older I Get...

...the less I like people.

For example, who dumps 5 chickens by the roadside because they are too lazy/cruel/irresponsible/cheap/simple to care for them??? Were they thinking they would simply "go native", and live off the land??? That they would somehow "enjoy" this return to nature, and frolic in the fields? Did those dolts ever consider coyotes, dogs, cars, or hawks? No, probably not.

Luckily for the remaining 4 (#5 lost a game of chicken with an automobile) my daughter and I chased and wrassled them over the course of two days, pouring rain, prickers and muck and brought them back to our place to see what we could make of them...


Forgive the poor photos - the quarantine coop is kind of dark. Once Irene has passed, we may be able to get much better shots, but we are cleaning up the place and tying down what can't be stored, and getting ready for a whopper.

But we think we have a gorgeous Buff Cochin rooster, a Buff Cochin hen (foreground above), and a Rhode Island Red is hiding in the background.
The one on the perch is possibly a Buff Orpington. The apparent difference in color of plumage is actually different degrees of soaked feathers and poor lighting. But she may be a cross of some kind, as well.

Can't wait to see how they do in the "chicken yard" with the rest of the poultry community. We'll let you know next week after quarantine is over.

Aggravating footnote: If I go back to the quarter mile of country road we traversed to catch these guys and picked up all the beer and soda cans thrown out somebody's windows, I could probably buy a sizeable bag of poultry feed. When did we become a society that simply chucks out a window anything we are too lazy to put where it belongs?

10 comments:

barbara said...

As a chicken lover, thank you for saving these abandoned animals. Like you, I have wondered when we became such a shameful, wasteful nation.

melanie said...

I get more and more satisfaction out of our chickens every day. They may never eclipse the sheep - but I really don't think I will ever be without some. Even if we stop full-time farming...

Michelle said...

Hurray for you, and lucky chickens!

Melodie said...

I am so glad you took in those chickens.I often wonder myself these days what is wrong with some people...sigh.

Sue said...

Hooray for you rescuing them! And may the fleas of a thousand camels plague the ones that dumped them!!!

We live in the country too, and I can't begin to tell you how many dogs get dumped around here. The poor animals-can you imagine what they go through?

LindaG said...

When did we become a society that simply chucks out a window anything we are too lazy to put where it belongs?

I've been wondering that for a few decades now myself.
Remember the commercials about trash with the Indian shedding a tear?
Sadly, we have been that way for many many years.

I thought a couple looked like Orps. Hope they give you many wonderful eggs.

Susan said...

I suppose they feel that "free range" means "fend for yourself". Where, in heaven's name, did you find them? We all know that chickens don't wander away from home. They may cross the road, but that's it. They look like pretty good specimens - good for you, my friend, for taking the time to rassle them into safety.

Unknown said...

Melanie, I get dumbfounded by how cruel, awful, self-centered and senseless people can be. The combination of the chickens and the garbage is upsetting. I am so glad that you and Madison saved those birds. Now they will have a lovely home.

I don't know if you heard, but a real jerk threw a baby kitten out of his/her car window on the Verrazano Narrows bridge. Other drivers saved the kitten and now Whoopi Goldberg is adopting him. Talk to you later.

Ashlee said...

As an animal person (not a designated cat/dog/bird/etc person) I am right beside you in this post. All of my animals are "recycled" and have come from places where no one wanted them anymore. My 3 cats and 3 chickens bring more joy to my life than most people I have met.

Kudos to you for saving those chickens! I am sure they now have a wonderful new loving home! And I am with Sue... I hope those bastards get the plague of, uh, something really bad! (I am sure I will think of something awesome to put there after I am finished posting)

melanie said...

Susan - they were up the country road going past M's house.

So far they are drying off, settling in, and eating like crazy.