For those of you following the bee saga, (and there are a bunch so I will report back as often as I can) the hive is all put together. It took two days, mostly because there were LOTS of parts, but I have two hive bodies, two supers, a hive-top feeder, and a ten frame set up. (That means constructing 40 frames, with brittle tissue-paper waxed foundation that tears if you breath wrong...)
Madison's California cousins were here last week, and I forgot to share some photos. Here is one taken by my brother-in-law (an awesome photographer) and pretty much sums up what the week was about:
And I found a really neat picture of Madison's Japanese cousins that my brother had posted on Flickr:
I wish I could tell you the circumstances of the photo - usually they are two very happy country boys decked out in tye-dye everything, but I am still waiting for the explanation myself...
And maple season is officially underway here in the Northeast.
Yesterday I spent all afternoon helping a friend chop wood, load sap, and boil, boil, boil...My early small runs were turned into thick syrup for breadmaking, and I did them here at the house. This year the bulk of our sap will be cooked over there...wish I could do an aroma blog - you would LOVE the smell of boiling sap!