Friday, June 15, 2007

chicklets!

Yes, the experiment in poultry motherhood has yielded results: Four eggs in, two live chicks out. (Honorable mention: the Ameracauna chick who didn't make it out of the egg without enormous help, and then died later, as something "wasn't right" with its back end, and it was too weak to fight it.)

The chicklet in front is an Ameracauna, which my daughter has named Alex. She claims this stab at androgeny was necessary in case we have a rooster. (Please, no!) And the wee one in back is the Buff Brahma Bantam named Jelly. ( I didn't ask.) And for those of you keeping score, the mother is a Dark Brahma. I could stay and wallow in the chicklet cuteness for hours, but the weeds are talking to me. And it's not nice words they're using, either.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Congrats on the chickies! I won't mention that you've got a 50/50 chance of Alex being a "he". (lol) :)

One of my bantam Ameraucanas hens keeps going broody on me. As it is, I wish we had fewer chicken space and more sheep space. But everyone is going on 4 years old now...