Monday, June 02, 2014

New Staff

Let me introduce the biggest addition to the farm....Zeva.

(The nut featured two posts ago...)



The decision to add another mouth/chore/critter to the farm was pretty easy after seeing that face....but really, it was about ticks.

You see, DH's NDE (Near Death Experience) was triggered by a tick bite in May '13.  Left inadequately treated, it led to a stroke, encephalitis and the NDE....amongst other things).  Anyhoo......

Ticks...eaten by Guinea Hens.  Guinea Hens...eaten by foxes.  Foxes...deterred (if not eaten) by large canine.  Canine...available by barter from a neighbor farmer, and, well, I love to barter. Viola!

She is a Maremma. So far....she hasn't eaten anybody (including chickens!) but we've had no losses to predators...so we're ahead of the game!

9 comments:

Spinners End Farm said...

Great logic! She is just adorable. Hope your hubby is doing better...how scary.

Carolyn said...

We've seen Maremma (sp?) crossed with Pyrenese but not a purebred. Good luck with your new guardian!

Susan said...

Are you telling me that this whole trip to Hell and back was caused by a deer tick? OMG. I will have to be even more diligent. Or get a Maremma. She is such a smart, beautiful dog...

Michelle said...

I didn't know Bill's whole health crisis was triggered by a tick bite! EEEE!!! I'm so glad we have very few ticks here; even more glad NOW.

Mama Pea said...

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, could resist that face!

Now that's really scary to think that a tick bite led to your husband's stroke, etc. Truly enough to make all of us get a whole herd of guineas!!

tpals said...

Adorable. I have a horror of ticks, but the number has gone way down since I turned so much of my yard over to the chickens.

Araignee said...

Whoa....scary. I was just covered in deer ticks. Really covered.
New pup is gorgeous. What a sweet little face.

EverStuff Shrimp said...

Are they as bad at roaming as Pyrenees are? I really need to look into getting a LGD, but I don't have the whole 10 acres fenced in.

Stevie said...

Yep. Get one animal and then getting the rest is like rolling down hill! We love our Great Pyrs although our youngest did have a little problem with chickens when she arrived. But I can trust her now. I think! Stevie@ruffledfeathersandspilledmilk.com