Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Good for the Gander?

...I was doing evening chores.

We feed hay a half bale at a time, which means when I cut the twine, the first half is tight, neat and orderly flakes. The second half is, well, somewhat scattered (due mostly to the rampages of a goose and two dozen something chickens) but I squooge up an armful and manage to get a mostly intact pile down to the waiting diners.

Today was a squooge day, and I wrapped up the largest pile I could from the hay stacks, and deposited it on the sled. (I drag around my feed/hay on a sled for most of the winter). I turned to grab a scoop of grain, and when I looked back, there was an egg on the ground next to the sled.

It hadn't been there before - no one pinched it out when I wasn't looking - the only possibility was that it rolled out from the squooge of hay on the sled. So, someone laid the egg during the day, and here it was.

I was momentarily speechless. The egg was either evidence of a MAJOR case of prolapse for some unfortunate chicken, or...
Candy - the male Canada goose that has been farm greeter, chicken herder, comic relief, and my gardening companion for all these three years - is a girl.

Talk about your "late bloomer..."

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Maybe she's a late bloomer, or maybe you're a late FINDER! And what is that THING on the end of your tape measure?!? hee

LindaCO said...

Whoops!

LindaG said...

Haha.
Well, I guess you better do the float test to see if it's still good. ;)
Have a great day! :)

Miss Effie said...

Did that with a duck myself! I was certain she was a male!

Susan said...

That is an egg-and-a-half! It will be interesting to see if there is another egg in the offing. It will be Candy, your boon GIRL companion.

melanie said...

Well, it looks like this is not uncommon for Canada geese...they often don't nest until the third season. Who knew? Although technically this is beginning her fourth year, it also said if the nest is "lost" (destroyed) they will not try to start another. So did I inadvertently bring the egg laying to a premature end? Stay tuned!

Gayle said...

Very cute story. Funny goose.

Elysbeth said...

Sneaky goose. I guess she was a Tomboy.