Saturday, October 20, 2007

And then there was....change

When I started to write this blog, I was employed as a trainer and curriculum writer of material for the Human Service field. Farming was incredibly interesting, and was my real love, although I couldn't see any clear way to making it my living...at least not yet.

Based on my years of good performance and written material, along comes a multi-million-dollar contract, which made my administrators drool and ooze from every bodily orifice, and for which I was to dedicate the bulk of my work time, although I still worked for The Agency. Somewhere along the way, I was sold over to The Contract, and like a Vegas marriage, I was hitched along with no clue how I got there.

After almost a solid year of frustration and bureaucracy in which the bull-shit-o-meter registered almost constant 100, The Agency had already spent too much of the multi-millions, and despite regular warnings from me to start pushing back and making clear our concerns with the behavior of The Contract parties, The Agency found themselves in a bind. So with a ruthlessness and desperation that was reminiscent of a fox that chews its own paw off in the trap, or the lion that will eat the cubs to eliminate any trace of a former rival, my boss (and former best-friend) cut me loose. That Vegas marriage had obliterated all of my former good works and value to The Agency: I was unemployed.

Now anyone that does any farming at all, even the Wee amount we do, knows that does not mean I had nothing to do. I simply spent the first two weeks trying to catch up on necessary chores and pre-winter projects around here to allow the blood to clot, and the sting to heal. (A bit...)

And in a strange twist of fate...I find myself working again. For a farmer! An organic farmer! A woman-run business, organic farm! A woman-run, organic, MAKING MONEY farm! (Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus...)

So, I have stepped off the edge and am going for it. Yeah, making a living at farming. Or making my best effort to, so I will never have to look back and wonder, "Could I have...?" Much of what my new employer/mentor does is what I want to do, only on a much grander scale, (with bigger machines), but knowledge is knowledge, and I learn something amazing every day.

And I'll keep you posted...

7 comments:

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

Wow, that's awesome! Sometimes it takes a good wounding to set you on the proper path and what a path! You let us know when you figure out that whole making-a-profit thing, inquiring minds and all that.

BTW, the eggs, breakfast, delicious, need I say more?!

Michelle said...

Sounds like a dream come true -- with no illusions about dreams not requiring blood, sweat and tears. :-) And that painting is a beautiful illustration of what you described in words -- did you do it?

melanie said...

Thank you both for your words of encouragement and positive outlook - I will need to call on them often in the future I am sure...The painting is called Leap of Faith by Jane Evershed. I've seen it as a notecard, poster, and t-shirt...it felt like it fit this situation...

Michelle said...

I think I need that poster....

melanie said...

Well, check out:

www.northernsun.com

But be careful, there may be several things you need...

Karin said...

What a post, what a perfect picture to go with it! My goodness.
I am glad you told me in person on Saturday, or else I would have just fallen off my chair.

I know you will do well in your next venture.

All the Best!!!

Kathy said...

I hadn't been 'round the blogs for a while so thought I would stop in...Way to go, Mel!

I am a big believer that good things DO actually come around to those who have faith that if they keep both their oars in the water and pull on them, the Hand on the tiller will get you where you need to be. (Whatever you percieve that hand to be) Goof off and just have one oar in, and you're going in circles hearing chuckling in the background.

It's nice to know you're on your way to your Dreams! Way to go, Chica! :)